Monday, October 31, 2011

Taking a Walk on the Foodie Side

While walking through the rain on Saturday morning (wearing the gortex Lands End gear Putnams gave me 16 years ago that continues to keep me draw as can be), I came upon a little market in the basement under a flower shop at the end of a street of row houses.  Discovering the wares available for purchase in walking distance of my apartment is one of my favorite past times -- probably because it rarely occurs to me to go shopping and then when I need something the last thing I want to do is get in the car.

Now the P&C Market sets itself apart from most of the other small stores in my neighborhood.  First off, it's rather tiny even for a corner store.  Secondly, it's particularly geared towards foodies.  They've got whole chickens that cost $26/each and a pound of ground beef for $9.99, fancy pastas, spices, and the such.  

At the counter when I was purchasing a box of lemon creme ginger cookies (think oreos with lemon filling between two ginger cookies -- delicious with a hot cup of tea!) I was intrigued by a jar of skillet pumpkin sauce.  The owner offered me a sample, which I accepted with delight.  And what did I discover, but SHAZAM!  Skillet pumpkin sauce is the perfect condiment for turkey and what better timing than between Halloween and Thanksgiving to give it a try.

Now, of course, I warned you that this is a foodie grocery store, so skillet pumpkin sauce comes with foodie prices, which most will reject on principle.  Pumpkin is the number one ingredient (amazing).  It's got no fat and only 15 calories a Tbsp, so I say splurge.  Can't find it at a store near you, check out their website: skilletbaconjam.com (oh, I know that lifted some eyebrows...).  

No comments: